Strep Throat Treatment Clinic Questions and Answers
Having strep throat can affect your routine. So if you are having symptoms, come to Midlands Family Urgent Care where our doctors and medical staff will perform a thorough checkup and diagnosis. For more information, call us or book an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Papillion NE, and Omaha NE.
Table Of Contents:
We use our throats every day; whether we are talking, singing, eating, or laughing, our throats play an essential role in verbal expression. The throat is also along the main passage of the airways, so when we have an itchy throat, it can be hard to ignore. Strep throat is one of the most common types of infection affecting the throat and often results in symptoms such as fever, sore throat, dry throat, itchy throat, and characteristic white dots on the back of the roof of the mouth.
While symptoms of a sore throat and strep throat have several similarities, they can be differentiated by taking a close look at their symptoms. When a sore throat is caused by a cold virus, typical cold symptoms are usually present, such as:
● Runny nose
● Red or watery eyes
Strep throat symptoms usually are more severe than a sore throat caused by a virus, and can include any of the following:
● Sudden sore throat
● Red tonsils with white spots
● Pain when swallowing
● Swollen neck glands
● Loss of appetite
● Abdominal pain
A strep throat infection is caused by group A streptococcus, a highly contagious bacteria. This is the primary cause of strep throat, although many occurrences can lead to contracting strep throat, as it can be spread by:
● Airborne Droplets — When an individual with strep throat breathes, sneezes or coughs, the droplets released into the surrounding environment contain the infection-causing bacteria, and breathing in these airborne droplets can infect a healthy individual.
● Saliva — Another mode of strep transmission is sharing foods or drinks with an infected individual.
● Physical Contact — People with a strep infection unknowingly harbor the bacteria on their hands and can contaminate anything or anyone they touch. Shaking hands with an infected person or touching the objects they have used may transfer the bacteria to a healthy person’s hand, which can cause an infection if it penetrates into the body, such as through touching the face (mouth or nose) without washing hands first.
If experiencing any of the following signs or symptoms, seek professional medical attention right away:
● Sore throat accompanied by swollen lymph glands
● Sore throat lasting longer than 48 hours
● Sore throat accompanied by a rash
● Problems breathing or swallowing
● In cases of a confirmed strep throat diagnosis, a lack of improvement after taking antibiotics for 48 hours
If strep throat is not treated, the bacteria could travel to other parts of the body causing a variety of complications, including:
● Abscesses (infected pockets) in the throat
● Infected lymph nodes in the neck
● Middle ear infection
● Sinus infection
● Rheumatic fever, a rare complication (1 to 3% of cases) that can cause damage to the heart, joints, nervous system, and skin; it occurs mainly in children ages 5 to 15
● Glomerulonephritis, which is a kidney disorder
● Strep infection of the skin, including impetigo
● Scarlet fever, a bright red, rough, sandpaper-like rash that starts on the face and neck and spreads to the rest of the body; typically affects children between 5 to 15 years old
● Toxic shock syndrome, a rare but potentially life-threatening condition caused by strep bacteria releasing toxins into the body, harming other tissues and organs
If you are experiencing symptoms of strep throat, do not delay treatment, come to Midlands Family Urgent Care! Call us today to book an appointment for professional strep throat treatment. We serve patients from Papillion NE, Omaha NE, La Vista NE, Fairview NE, Ralston NE, Bellevue NE, Springfield NE and surrounding areas.